when you’re looking for something small, not-overly-sweet, but will still make you smile – then these doughnuts are for you.
sour cream mini doughnuts slightly modified from my recipes, “Baked Buttermilk Doughnuts“
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mashed cinnamon apples or applesauce (optional – I just had to add my favorite fruit! 🙂 )
1. preheat oven to 425°. Lightly coat a doughnut pan with cooking spray.
2. combine flours and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
3. combine sour cream, eggs, honey, butter, vanilla, and mashed apples stirring well with a whisk. Add the sour cream mixture to flour mixture; whisk just until combined.
4. spoon batter into doughnut pans, filling two-thirds full. Bake in middle of oven until doughnuts spring back when touched and are golden on bottom (about 8 minutes). Let cool in pan slightly (about 4 minutes); turn out. coat with toppings (some ideas below), and enjoy.
note: I used a mini doughnut pan and this recipe yielded 4 dozen mini doughnuts (with some extra). the original recipe with a regular size doughnut pan yields 14 servings.
powdered sugar: fill a small bag with powdered sugar and coat doughnuts while still warm.
cinnamon sugar: combine 1/4 cup ground cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar. while still warm, coat doughnuts in melted butter – then transfer into sugar and cinnamon mixture. let cool on rack, sugar-coated side up.
chocolate: melt 6 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate in a bowl in microwave until smooth. dip doughnuts into chocolate and place chocolate side up on a rack to cool. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts; let sit about 10 minutes.
One thought on “sour cream mini doughnuts.”