plantain chips are “not yo mama’s potato chips” 😉 although many people like to enjoy them fried, they are just as delicious when baked (and seriously, the baked version is soooooo good). so here’s a very easy recipe for baked plantain chips that you can try and see for yourself! let me know if you make them (tag #TheSugarApple in your photo 🙂 )
baked plantain chips
- 1-2 green plantains (check out this video on how to peel a plantain)
- olive oil
- salt & pepper or your favorite seasoning salt (I use Charlie’s Spicy Seasoning Blend)
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- peel the plantains and then cut into thin slices or use a mandoline (a mandoline is perfect for making these into chips 😀)
- toss sliced plantains in 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- arrange sliced plantains in a single layer on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil-sprayed with non-stick spray) and season liberally with your favorite seasoned salt (hint: Try Charlie’s you won’t be disappointed!)
- place sliced plantains in heated oven and set for 15 minutes (important note: please watch these carefully, depending on how thin or thick your slice is – they may be ready a little sooner or may need more time. so please keep your eye on them. they will become golden in color and crispy when ready – so in short, don’t leave the kitchen – we don’t want burnt chips. )
- enjoy! add more salt if needed. serve immediately.