I’ve been on a Mexican-food kick for the past few days, and I had to share a very quick recipe for vegan bean and corn tacos. Here’s the recipe – let me know what you think! 😀
vegan bean & corn tacos
- 15.5 oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup of canned corn
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of vegetable broth
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- cumin (1/4 tsp –or more if you like)
- chili powder (1/2 tsp – or more depending on your tastes)
- cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp –or more if you like it spicy)
- salt to taste
- open and drain your beans and measure out your corn (note: I tend to rinse out my canned products under some water)
- dice the onions and garlic.
- heat up 1 Tbsp oil in a medium pot.
- once the oil is heated, saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- add your beans and corn to the pot and mix it all up.
- add the seasonings including some salt to taste. (make sure the seasonings are mixed in well )
- add the tomatoes. cook uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- now add vegetable broth. and lower heat slightly. cover for about 10 minutes.
- now uncover for about 5 minutes, and taste if more salt or more seasonings are needed.
- finish with a sprinkle of fresh or dried cilantro.
I put my tacos together using these high fiber whole grain taco shells (and I also included some rice I had made the night before). I placed the bean and corn mix on the bottom, added the rice, topped it with some lettuce and non-dairy cheese* – absolutely delish!
and if you’re looking for some sides to this (besides a side salad), check out this recipe for some baked plantain chips.
(*) non-dairy cheese: I added the Connoisseurus Veg’s sweet potato nacho cheese to the tacos. and so glad I did! I wanted to try a non-dairy cheese alternative and found this recipe to be great! it adds a very nice layer of flavor.