it’s been a while. but when you have a baby like I did (yeah! he’s almost 7 months old) that becomes the priority over any blogging. ;). but I’m so glad to be back! and quick recipes are becoming a very good thing for my schedule. I made these the other day and they were soooooo good – I had to share. if you make them, let me know!
Spicy Salmon Patties
1 can of red or pink salmon
1/2 onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1/2 small red pepper, diced (optional)
1/4 – 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg, slightly beaten
spicy seasoning (I use Charlies Spicy Fish Seasoning* – it has the best flavor and it’s not overly spicy!)
hot sauce to taste (optional)
oil for pan frying
- open the can of salmon and place in mixing bowl. debone and flake the salmon as much as you can (if you miss a few bones, it’s okay. the bones are soft and likely won’t hurt you)
- heat up a few tablespoons of oil or butter in a frying pan and then place the diced onion, celery and red pepper (if using) in the pan. fry on medium heat until fragrant and the vegetables are soft. take off the heat and set aside to cool.
- make a well in the center of the salmon and place the beaten egg, bread crumbs, and the cooled cooked veggies (onion/celery/red pepper) and mix it all together. (note: you want to be sure the veggies are cool so they don’t heat up the egg you are using)
- then season the mixture with your spicy seasoning and mix just one more time. (note: the mixture should be able to form a ball in your hand without falling apart.)
- take a small piece of the mixture about the size of your palm (or use a small ice cream scoop for uniform shaped patties) and press into a flat circular pattie. repeat this until you’ve used up all the mixture. place the uncooked patties on a plate. set aside.
- coat just the bottom of the pan (using the same pan used with the veggies) with oil and place on medium heat until hot. (note: a nonstick pan works best with these patties)
- when the oil is hot enough, place a few patties in the pan and fry until golden brown and flip and complete on other side until both sides are golden brown. (note: you may need to use more oil when adding in more patties)
- place cooked patties on paper towel. squeeze fresh lemon over the patties and sprinkle with a little more more spicy seasoning.
serve with rice, or have it alone as an appetizer. and feel free to spice it up more with some hot sauce!
*full disclosure: I am personally vested in Charlie’s Spicy Seasonings–it is my family’s business.