seriously, this is the best banana bread I’ve ever made! I’ve tried MANY banana bread recipes but I keep coming back to this one. it’s a recipe from Martha Stewart (with some modifications including making if GF/gluten free) but it’s definitely a must try! it makes one loaf or 12 muffins and it’s a perfect addition for your morning breakfast or weekend brunch! it freezes really well too in case you have extras. ☺️ let me know if you try it!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour* (I used Bob’s Red Mill )
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas**
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans**(optional)
- 1/2 cup of shredded sweetened coconut** (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 12 cup muffin pan; set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat to incorporate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine.
- Stir in nuts (if using) and sweetened coconut (if using) and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into the the muffins comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes. (Note: Please check at exactly 30 minutes, as you do not want these to get too brown or burnt. I’ve noticed with gluten free baking, these muffins can get dark really quickly if not watched carefully)
- Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
*Flour: I’ve only tested with Bobs Red Mill 1-to-1 flour.
**Note: generally 2 ripe bananas works fine. although, I used 3 bananas in this recipe, and I increased the nuts (to a 1 cup) and sweetened coconut (1 cup)– it created more batter and I needed another muffin pan. So I got 24 muffins instead of 12. I think 2 or 2 1/2 bananas work just fine if you just have one muffin pan or choose to do it as loaf.
3 thoughts on “the BEST banana bread (gluten free!)”
Hi Stacee! You nailed this recipe. Truly, my favorite banana bread recipe. Like you, I use 3 bananas, and add 1 cup toasted walnuts and 1 cup toasted coconut flakes. I bake the bread in a heavy duty bundt cake pan and it comes out perfect every time! I just baked my sixth loaf this morning after my wife’s urging request.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Wonderful! Yes It’s so good – glad we both enjoy it! 👍🏽
I love banana bread! Thanks for sharing
LikeLiked by 1 person