I was looking for a vegan Mac & Cheese recipe that included simple ingredients, nothing that required soaking nuts or tofu and still tasted delish! And luckily I found this recipe from the The Vegan Bear — and I’m so happy I did! It has the perfect consistency and taste. I made a few minor tweaks to the recipe but this is a must have for a lunch or dinner!
- 16 oz. bag/box of elbow macaroni*
- ½ cup + 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons of Charlie’s Spicy Seasoning (gives it the perfect spicy kick)
- 1 ½ cups soy milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup of gluten free bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400** degrees.
- Cook the pasta as directed.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the nutritional yeast, Charlie’s Spicy Seasoning , soy milk, garlic and paprika. Slowly pour the oil in the food processor or blender while it is running. The mixture should be creamy, as this will be the “cheese” sauce.
- Strain the pasta and run cold water over it. Be sure to shake all of the excess water out of the pasta. Put the pasta back in the pot and mix it with about 1 cup of the “cheese” sauce. Put the cheesy noodles in an oven casserole dish. Pour the remaining cheese evenly over the noodles.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs over the pasta. Then sprinkle paprika and parsley (optional) and then cover with foil and place in the oven to cook for 25 minutes. Uncover for the last 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 30 minutes (if you can stand it!) before serving. Enjoy!
*I used Banza chickpea pasta for a healthier option to regular elbow pasta
**Original recipe called for 350 degrees, but I found 400 degrees for the same time provided a crispier Mac & Cheese. Choose your preference.